Thinkbaby SPF 50+ Sunscreen, 6 fl oz
• First Sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care Requirements
• Top Rated by EWG with a “1” rating in 2010, 2011, and 2012, 2013 - Baby, Beach and Sport
• Free of biologically harmful chemicals. No Avobenzone, Oxybenzone, or UV Chemical absorbers.
• Highest SPF 50+ (per FDA 2012 Rules - any sunscreens boasting higher are falsely marketing)
• Highest level of Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection (per FDA 2012 Rules)
• Highest level of water resistance (80 minutes) (per FDA 2012 Rules)
• Non-nano formulation – Average particle size >100micron
• Non-aerosol formulation (High concern of both ineffectiveness and particulates being inhaled)
• Paraben, phthalates, PABA and 1,4 dioxane free
• Applies and absorbs easily. Non-oily feel
• Sunscreen produced in the USA
• Does not have an obtrusive smell that many organic sunscreens have.
• A member of the Safe Cosmetics Campaign Compact
• Featured in: Tennis, Bicycling, Natural Child, Daily Candy (top pick), Men’s Health (top pick), Competitor, Standard, Pharmacy Times, Men’s Journal (top pick), Chicago Tribune, The Bump, Times Square, The Daily Green, YNN News, Denver News, Triathlete, and 100s of online review sites. Cribsie and Red Hat Product Finalist. Eco - Excellence Finalist. Silver Award NAPPA. And many others.
How to use:
Thinkbaby is for babies, kids and adults over the age of 6 months. Perfect for people with sensitive skin.
Thinkbaby sunscreen is a physical sunscreen which means it works immediately upon application. It is not necessary to apply 30 minutes before you are exposed to sunlight as is the case with chemical sunscreens. Thinkbaby sunscreen is classified as “water resistant - 80 minutes.” This is the FDA’s highest possible rating. It will maintain its SPF after 80 minutes of water immersion. The Environmental Working Group recommends reapplying sunscreen every two hours.
Thinkbaby applies easily and absorbs quickly. Be sure to apply all areas that will be exposed to sunlight, including behind the ears, neck, hands, feet, and scalp. Reapply every two hours or more as needed. While the sunscreen applies very easily, it isrecommended not to apply it too thin. Otherwise you will decrease the effectiveness of the sunscreen. Keep in mind that physical sunscreens work by reflecting sunlight.
More About Sunscreens:
The majority of sunscreens currently on the market are full of questionable ingredients and known carcinogens. Simply looking at the ingredients you’ll quickly realize you don’t recognize any of them. Many existing sunscreens have been brought to market with little concern for their safety. Not only do ingredients in sunscreen interact with skin, but data shows after application of lotions, some of the same chemicals can be detected in the bloodstream. Most people wear sunscreen to reduce the chance of developing cancer, so why apply something that could potentially increase this risk? This question has unfortunately left many people moving away from using sunscreen at all.
Additionally, Thinkbaby sunscreens utilizes average zinc oxide particles greater than 110nm. Kevin Brodwick, founder of Thinkbaby and Thinksport explains why: “We always use the precautionary principle and as we expect the debate on the safety of nano particles to continue, we asked a simple question: Does the product have to contain nano particles to be an effective sunscreen? The answer is, quite simply, "NO"!
The difference between physical and chemical sunscreens:
Physical (or mineral) sunscreens work by protecting the skin with a physical barrier on top of the skin. Mineral sunscreens contain an active ingredient of either zinc or titanium oxide. Thinkbaby sunscreen has the active ingredient of zinc oxide. Chemical sunscreens penetrate the skin and are absorbed into the blood stream. Active ingredients such as oxybenzone are found in chemical sunscreens and can act as endocrine disruptors in the body.
Thinkbaby sunscreen comes in 6oz tube made of environmentally friendly packaging that does not contain BPA, vinyl, or phthalates. The packaging and contents are environmentally safe. Each tube is marked with an expiration date. Compare your sunscreen's "safe" ingredients to Thinkbaby's ingredients. The best way is to check out The Environmental Working Group's database Skin Deep http://www.EWG.org/SkinDeep
The ratings for each ingredient are listed separately below. A rating of "0" or "1" are the safest.
Thinkbaby Sunscreen Ingredients:
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 20% (Non-nano)
Inactive Ingredients: PURIFIED WATER (0), ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE (0), CAPRIC CAPRYLIC TRIGLYCERIDES(0), SORBITAN STEARATE (COCONUT BASED) (1), PINE WOOD RESIN (0), VEGETABLE GLYCERIN (0), CETYL DIMETHICONE (0), HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL (0), MAGNESIUM SULFATE (EPSOM SALT) (0), SUNFLOWER OIL, JOJOBA OIL (0), ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C) (0), TOCOPHEROLS (VITAMIN E) (1), OLIVE OIL (0), RASPBERRY SEED OIL (0), CRANBERRY SEED OIL (0), HYALURONIC ACID (MADE FROM VEGETABLE) (0), GLUCOSE & GLUCOSE OXIDASE AND LACTOPEROXIDASE (0), PAPAYA (0)